DiskImage 14 - newbie questions

Professional / Workstation / Server Edition
Antworten
dimmager

DiskImage 14 - newbie questions

Beitrag von dimmager » Sa 27. Apr 2019, 01:11

Sorry my questions are in English - I don't speak several languages like you clever people :-)
1) I want to clone a 2TB hard drive with bad sectors to a new 2TB drive. Will DiskImage do this?
2) Does it do the cloning in Windows? Or in DOS, via a boot disc?
3) How long might it take?

I ask the last question because I tried to do the job with Clonezilla, in DOS, and it was forecasting 190 hours :!:
Thank you for reading this :-)

Alex (O&O)

Re: DiskImage 14 - newbie questions

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » So 28. Apr 2019, 12:59

Hello,

The first question:
Yes, O&O DiskImage would duplicate the disc. However, if the first erroneous sector occurred, a read error message would be displayed, confirming that you want to continue anyway.
To the 2nd question:
This would be possible under a running Windows operating system or with the help of the boot CD. The boot CD is a Windows PE.
To the 3rd question:
The duration depends on the number of read errors and the duration of the disc to answer the read command. It is possible that with the size of 1 TB the reading time is very, very many hours.
Alex (O&O)

dimmager

Beitrag von dimmager » So 28. Apr 2019, 21:30

Alex, thanks for your response.

1) I think there's a setting in Disk Image to ignore the bad sectors, so I guess that won't matter.
2) The faulty disk occasionally disappears from Windows and doesn't show again until a reboot. So perhaps it would be best done in DOS.
3) Okay, a long process is to be expected. Again, it would seem that the cloning would be best done outside of Windows.

A final question, please. Would there be any advantage in imaging the drive, instead of cloning?

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Mo 29. Apr 2019, 05:30

Hello,

It should make no difference whether an image or duplication is performed. On a defective device, only as few read accesses as possible should be made.
Alex (O&O)

Antworten