drive restoration not booting

Professional / Workstation / Server Edition
Antworten
superfantastic

drive restoration not booting

Beitrag von superfantastic » So 18. Aug 2013, 19:54

i am having problems with images i create ! when i restore to same hardware but just change the drive for testing they never boot ! they say missing os or not bootable etc etc, the image worked fine on all pc;s i did it on and they are complete images of the whole drive and lisited partitions

why am i having this problem and how do i fix, software no good if i could not recover from complete drives failures on my custommers pc's

i have drive with ide, sata windows 7 and windows 8 backing up to external usb drive and then booting to cd to recover

sorry i am english and i hope you can help on this forum

kevin.

Alex (O&O)

Re: drive restoration not booting

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 04:12

Hi Superfantastic,

Before I can help you, I need some information from you. Which O&O DiskImage version do you have? In which recovery envorinment you performed the recovery? How are you proceed exactly? What do you have selected as a source and what as a target? What is the exact error code that is displayed when you boot?
Alex (O&O)

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 07:52

i am using drive image 7 server, i am backing up everytime in windows from internal sata hard disks to external usb 2.0 drives
i am setting up a job for a drive image and backing up the drive partitions

systemreserved drive and the c:\ drive

i am backing all of the main disk using options

used sector with compress lznt1 no encryption all standard setting selected

the image works fine, i put a brand new sata drive in and boot to the winpe disk then select restoration
select my image from my usb drive and then the new drive on the right and tick all partitions and restore over the new drive
i get no errors and it works fine.
when i reboot without disk and usb drive on the new drive does not boot up ?
does not even get to the os, i just get depending on what pc i have tested on and the motherboard type
error like missing os or please insert boot media or something
if i boot to windows with my original disk on and the new drive as a slave i can see both partitions are there although unbootable

strange problem which must have a simple reason why its not working for me ?

kevin.
thank you

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 08:27

Hi Superfantastic,

You choose the hard drive from the image as the source and the hard drive in the system as the target? Can you make a report or a log file from the restoration process and upload here? If you "error like missing os or please insert boot media" receive as the error, the partition that contains the boot loader seems not to be the active partition. In restoring have you seen the query "The source drive 'your drive' was bootable. Would you also like to make the target drive bootable?"?
Alex (O&O)

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 10:38

i need the target drive to be bootable, i guess you can do this ?
i need to just backup > restore to new drive and then then it just boots .

i have tried three computers with windows 7 / 8 and server and still i get the same problem ?

i guess the drive should be bootable after a restore ?

kevin/

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 11:07

Hi Superfantastic,

Please perform a disk to disk recovery, i.e., choose a disk from your image as source and a disk from your system as a destination. If an active partition was marked O&O DiskImage will also set active on the target partition, or You get the question of whether this should be done.
Alex (O&O)

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 11:14

so you want me to do a clone drive then ?

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 12:51

If you want so but the source disk comes from an image file. If you individually restore the partitions, you must ensure that the partition that contains the boot loader is also restored, for example the "system reserved partition" in Windows 7 or Windows 8.
Alex (O&O)

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 12:58

i have backed up that and restored that partition on all cases and still no boot ?

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 13:14

You have restored the partition that contains the boot loader from the backup and the query "The source drive 'your drive' was bootable. Would you also like to make the target drive bootable?" was not shown?
Please try a restore disk to disk.
Alex (O&O)

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 13:28

i dont get this ?

"The source drive 'your drive' was bootable. Would you also like to make the target drive bootable?" was not shown?

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 15:49

when do i get this message ? i boot to the recovery cd and do a restore but never get asked the question ?
why is this ?

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Mo 19. Aug 2013, 17:11

just done another image and restore and get the message after the reboot

invalid boot disk, please insert boot disk

image backed up fine and and restore was fine to with no errors, at no point i get a message would you like the
system bootable ?

kevin.

tried this on 4 systems now with different hardware and get same message every time !!

please help.

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Di 20. Aug 2013, 06:45

Hi Kevin,

It seems to be an understanding problem. Please generate a log file, start the restore and upload it here. A report would be also a possibility as well as screenshots, so I can see what exactly you are doing.
Please tell me the operating systems which you have backed up and what exactly you have backed up. Is the source or the target systems an EFI/UEFI system or to a classic BIOS?
Is the target hardware an other hardware then source hardware? If Yes, was M.I.R. activated (restore to different hardware)?

By the way, have you performed a restore test from disk to disk? What was the result?
Alex (O&O)

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Di 20. Aug 2013, 10:35

just booted from one of the original partitions i took the backup from and the drive was offline ? i put it on line and i can see it matches the original drive although it is missing the SYSTEM RESERVED partition, the backup had this partition and i told it to restore it although it appears it has not , i guess this why it is not booting then ?!

why would it be missing out this partition when i have included it in the image and i have selected it for restore ?

kevin.

ps: away to try the disk to disk option or clone as its called now.....

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Di 20. Aug 2013, 11:34

Hi Kevin,

I have uploaded an example for a selection to restore a hard disk. I would ask you to contact our support with a link to this forum because we come here not really further. Please provide us a log file, or a restoration report, or screenshots.
Dateianhänge
sample_restore.jpg
sample selection for restoration
Alex (O&O)

superfantastic

Beitrag von superfantastic » Di 20. Aug 2013, 13:00

got it to work !!
i noticed on your screen shot that you ONLY tick the disk0 basic as source in the image file
i was ticking both the system reserved and the c:\ drive in my source image
if you do it your way i get the questions about bootable, if you tick the partitions like i did it does not work !

strange but working now and perfect.

thank you for all your time

kevin.

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Di 20. Aug 2013, 14:27

Hi Kevin,

It's fine that it finally worked. I'm going to check those you described case of our QA.
Alex (O&O)

jackcheng

Beitrag von jackcheng » Di 25. Mär 2014, 11:24

i have tried three computers with windows 7 / 8 and server and still i get the same problem ?

Alex (O&O)

Beitrag von Alex (O&O) » Di 25. Mär 2014, 12:26

Hi jackcheng,

What problem do you have with all your computers? Please describe in detail what you want to do and what does not work for you.
Alex (O&O)

Antworten