[BUG] Silently Broken Windows Hello

Antworten
Bliellough

[BUG] Silently Broken Windows Hello

Beitrag von Bliellough » Sa 19. Aug 2017, 21:54

Hello! (I hope it's OK to post in English, otherwise I can provide an automated translation from Google Translate :| )

Environment:
Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, build 15063.540:
OOSU10 1.5.1390
I use Microsoft Surface Pro 3. It doesn't support WIndows Hello by itself (neither a camera nor a fingerprint reader in the tablet), but I can add that functionality via Surface Pro 4 Type Cover w/ a Fingerprint Reader - it's a detachable keyboard and this combination of SP3 + SP4 keyboard is officially supported by Microsoft.

Bug report:
For some time I couldn't use the fingerprint reader built into the keyboard anymore - suddenly stopped working, never logged me in and I had to use the PIN instead. I went to Windows Hello settings and found out that "Windows Hello is not supported on this system." which has previously been working for half a year - then I remembered it may have occured after using OOSU10.

Repro:
I went back there and disabled the "Disable camera in logon screen" setting - after restarting Windows the fingerprint logon works again!

It seems that disabling the camera at the login screen will break WIndows Hello functionality completely, even though my specific model's camera hardware does not even support Windows Hello. Could you please add a little note about this risk into the setting description? I also believe this deserves a change of the setting safety impact from green to yellow, as a seemingly unrelated feature can be broken by it. Thanks!

Martin (O&O)
Re: [BUG] Silently Broken Windows Hello

Beitrag von Martin (O&O) » Mo 21. Aug 2017, 08:10

Hello,

thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded your suggestion to our development department.

Martin (O&O)

ears1991

Re: [BUG] Silently Broken Windows Hello

Beitrag von ears1991 » Di 26. Dez 2017, 19:33

Appears to be broken for me too although reverting that setting didnt fix it.

Antworten