O&O Defrag does not know the difference between SSD and HDD

Professional / Workstation / Server Edition
Antworten
ReneM

O&O Defrag does not know the difference between SSD and HDD

Beitrag von ReneM » Di 25. Feb 2020, 17:25

Unfortunately I couldn't find a forum in English so I hope it's OK with my post here.

Have bought and installed OO-defrag version 23 Build 3094 on my brand new super computer.

Big was my surprise when I discovered that the program does not recognize my SSD drive as it incorrectly states it is a fragmenteret HDD.

Of course, everything in my new computer, including Windows, recognizes the SSD drive, which is NOT to be defragmented.
Only O&O-Defrag 23 is unable to recognize the drive, but considers it as an old fragmented HDD (the last Link '5').

Fortunately, I am 'old in the profession', but many ordinary people without special computer knowledge will probably just click defragment All.

Is there a way to prevent my Windows SSD drive from being accidentally defragmented?

At the moment I manually use Windows TRIM, but that's not what I paid for.

As an orientation, I've created some screenshoots that show that everything but O&O Defrag recognizes the difference between my SSD and HDD drives.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9gnwjyjjcdo5 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux0kgkjny3ljw ... 2.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8par5fq25u3m ... 3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gk28v2yxg7dk5 ... 4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gunobn52pa91s ... 5.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance.

René

affengriff

Re: O&O Defrag does not know the difference between SSD and HDD

Beitrag von affengriff » Di 25. Feb 2020, 21:02

Hello René,
we got the same Problem here with Samsung SSD. I think you use a NVMe SSD like us, right?

I can also not understand, why this is not working with O&O. I try alot Defrag-Software and every Software i try detects my SSD like a SSD and not like normal harddisc. On the other hand, O&O Defrag is a nice Program to take care the harddiscs, thats the reason i dont want to stop use it. (and i pay for it)

But, be carefull, because when you use the automatic defragmentation service from O&O, your SSD will be defragmentiert like a normal harddisc. That can destroy your SSD, because of to many writing on the disc. I exclude the disk (Settings\ Files\ excluded Files - exclude C:\*.*).
(i realy dont understand why nobody from support writes that here)

Here we ask the same question: https://forum.oo-software.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5301
and same here: https://forum.oo-software.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5486

in the End, Brigitte from O&O Software writes, that we have to send the problem to support@oo-software.com

I try that before i ask here and nobody solve the problem...

Sorry for my bad english 8-) ;)

ReneM

Beitrag von ReneM » Di 25. Feb 2020, 22:28

Hello Affengriff

Thank you very much for your elaborate response which I am sincerely pleased.

You are right, my SSD drive is a Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVMe M.2.

Like you, I also contacted O&O support, but got the same answer from Brigitte that I should send them reports on the problem, which she probably didn't really believe anyway.

And you're right, absolutely nothing happens.

It is under all criticism that a software product intended solely to handle disks can't know the difference between them.
It is certainly not reassuring.

It does not seem that support will solve such a simple problem.

Thanks again for your reply which I am very pleased.

Sorry for my bad English that is not my language.

Have a nice day.

René

Brigitte (O&O)

Beitrag von Brigitte (O&O) » Mi 26. Feb 2020, 11:26

Dear René,

We are sorry, but you have made it quite clear in your last technical request that you are not willing to participate in the solution of the problem - which we have not been able to reproduce so far. Without this participation we cannot analyse the problem, that should be clear.
Brigitte (O&O)

ReneM

Beitrag von ReneM » Mi 26. Feb 2020, 14:03

Dear Brigitte

I think there's something you've misunderstood.
I have bought and paid for a product that I expect works properly.
I'm not employed to troubleshoot your software.

Furthermore, it is not only me who has the problem - everyone else with similar SSD drives has already submitted your requested material - without any feedback.

I noticed that users back to September last year had the same problem, but O&O support did nothing.

How hard can it be to buy a drive yourself and then test and troubleshoot bad code.

Please do not blame us (paying) users for your problems. It's not pretty.

I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion.

René

affengriff

Beitrag von affengriff » Mi 26. Feb 2020, 14:17

I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion.
I am of the same opinion as rene. What is this forum here for?

Brigitte (O&O)

Beitrag von Brigitte (O&O) » Mi 26. Feb 2020, 16:48

Dear Rene,

Well, you have been offered a full refund.
Brigitte (O&O)

ReneM

Beitrag von ReneM » Mi 26. Feb 2020, 17:34

Dear Brigitte

It has nothing to do with the matter.

Why don't you solve the problem instead?

Can't you?

René

w64bit

Beitrag von w64bit » Mo 11. Mai 2020, 12:56

I also contacted last year OO support to report a big problem with SSD.
The so called "SSD optimization" is worse than HDD defrag.
All the time, if I use SOLID/complete, at Step 2 the "optimizations" is behave like this:
- for an empty space at square 1, the data from square 2 is moved to square 1
- 3 in 2 ... 4 in 3.
- so ALL THE DATA from the SSD is moved one square.
I think it was the same Brigitte, and I told her to change the program so the empty squares to be filled with the data from latest squares and after that to do the rest of optimization.
The answer: our program does not do this.
Nice.

ReneM

Beitrag von ReneM » Mo 11. Mai 2020, 14:02

O&O Defrag destroys modern computers with the latest SSD drives - this is no less than a disaster.

The vast majority of regular users do not even know that the program is destroying their expensive SSD drives - only professionels know what to.

It is now more than 7 months since the problem was taken up, but nothing has happened.

How hard can it be to buy an NVMe drive and put it in a computer and then get the problem solved.

A few days ago, an update, version 23.5 Build 5015, was finally released.

Unfortunately, it turned out that it did not change anything. O&O is still defragmenting the SSD drives - the problem is still there.

It should be prohibited to sell products that destroy users machines.

At the very least, sales should have stopped until the program could be safely used again.

Why has nothing happened in the last 7-8 months?

Are they completely indifferent or just can't make the program work?

And yes - I'm certainly very unhappy with their way of dealing with the problem.

Sorry for my bad English - it's not my language.

Cheers
René

SlashRose

Beitrag von SlashRose » Do 14. Mai 2020, 12:31

Since I have been using O&O for many years, I can only confirm that the software and its encoders no longer deliver the quality of the product as it did a few years ago and then they are amazed that their sales figures are falling so much. It's no wonder that their product O&O Defrag only contains errors and that in every build, these errors are so serious and reproducible that you get the impression that they don't really test their software before release, I'm just disappointed of your product and I will not buy a new version if one should appear after v23.
Gruß, SlashRose.

P.H.S.

Beitrag von P.H.S. » Fr 7. Aug 2020, 08:55

Es ist doch erstaunlich, dass O&O keine Angaben darüber macht, wie Defrag Pro und Windows 10 zusammenarbeiten oder nicht.
Man hat das Gefühl, dass Defrag nunmehr den falschen Namen trägt. O&O sollte klar darstellen, was Defrag genau mit SSD's macht und wie es mit Windows 10 interagiert. So sollte Defrag Pro auf z.B. DiskOpt Pro umgetauft werden, wobei HDD's wie gehabt defragmentiert werden (mit einer Warnung re. benötigte Restkapazität auf den HDD) und SSD's sachgemäss optimiert werden (Trim, alignment in sinnvollen Abständen) und eben nicht defragmentiert.
Bei der Option "automatischen Start vom Program vor dem Windows-boot (weisser Text auf schwarzem Bildschirm-Hintergrund) darf eben nicht "Defragmentierung" stehen wenn von einem SSD gebootet wird.
Abgesehen davon muss O&O nachweisen, dass ein künftiges "DiskOpt Pro" (hier mit "Solid"-Methoden) einen Mehrwert gegenüber dem SSD-Management von Windows 10 erzeugt.
Das Ganze ist eine Frage der Glaubwürdigkeit. Diese wurde durch O&O's Festhalten am Begriff "Defragmentierung" angesichts der SSD-Welle angekratzt, da dieser Begriff antinomisch zu SSD's ist. Eine semantische Frage ...
Ich benutzte Defrag, stets die neueste Version, seit den 90er Jahren auf einem dutzend PC's. Nun ist bis auf weiteres Schluss damit. Und angesichts des einhergehenden Vertrauensverlustes wird Disk-Image durch Acronis True Image ersetzt :twisted:

Antworten